Member Survey Member Login
Member Survey Member Login

What Type of Behavioral Health Professional is Right for You?

What Type of Behavioral Health Professional is Right for You?

April 13, 2022


There are many types of behavioral health professionals. Below is a listing of the types of professionals, including their areas of expertise and training, to help you select the type of treatment that is right for you.

  • Psychiatrists are licensed medical doctors who have completed psychiatric training. They can diagnose mental health conditions, prescribe, and monitor medications. 
  • Licensed Psychologists have a doctoral degree in psychology. Psychologists are trained in research and psychological and/or neuropsychological testing. Psychologists are also trained to make diagnoses and provide individual and group therapy. 
  • Licensed Clinical Social Workers (“LCSW”) have a master’s degree in social work. They are trained to diagnose mental disorders and provide individual, family, and group therapy. They are also trained in case management and advocacy.
  • Licensed Mental Health Counselors (“LMHC”) hold a master’s degree in counseling. They provide behavioral health services to individuals, families, and groups.
  • Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (“LMFT”) have either a master’s or doctoral level degree. They provide therapy for couples and families.
  • Board Certified Behavior Analysts (“BCBA”) have a master’s degree in Applied Behavioral Analysis. They work with individuals with autism or other developmental disabilities.
  • Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors (“CASAC”) are certified to work specifically with individuals with Substance Use Disorder through individual counseling and group therapy.

If you are struggling to manage your emotional health, reach out for support. You are not alone!

For assistance with referrals and resources contact MEND 212-366-7590 or If you are thinking of hurting yourself, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800-273-8255.